KATY MAGAZINE NEWS
June 4, 2018
State Representative Mike Schofield is currently accepting applications for the Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program (TASSP) for the 2018-2019 academic year.
TASSP is a scholarship for students entering college in the Fall of 2018, providing scholarship funding toward undergraduate education at any Texas university with an active ROTC program. The Texas Legislature created the TASSP to encourage students to become commissioned officers in any branch of the armed services of the United States or members of Texas Army National Guard, Texas Air National Guard, Texas State Guard, the United States Coast Guard, or the United States Merchant Marines. “I am honored to play a role in finding a young leader who wants to serve our country, and helping that dream become a reality” said Schofield.
ONE STUDENT CHOSEN FROM EACH STATE
Each year, each state senator and state representative may nominate one student to receive an initial conditional scholarship. Following nomination, the Higher Education Coordinating Board determines the award amount based on available funding. These annual awards may make a difference in the life of a high achieving student. Who can apply? To be eligible, applicants must enroll in a Texas public or private accredited institution of higher education, commit to four years of training through the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) program, and plan to enter the Armed Services upon graduation.
Nominees must meet two of the following four academic criteria:
• Be on track to graduate or graduated high school with the Distinguished Achievement Program (DAP) or the International Baccalaureate Program (IB)
• Have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale
• Achieve a college readiness score on the SAT (1070) or ACT (23)
• Be ranked in the top one-third of the prospective high school graduating class
Non-freshman students can apply for the scholarship if they:
• Maintain satisfactory academic progress as determined by the institution of in which the student is enrolled;
• Continue to be a member of a ROTC program; and
• Have not earned a baccalaureate degree or a cumulative total of 150 credit hours, including transferred hours.
Eligible students are encouraged to contact Rep. Schofield’s office at (281) 578-8484 or at Sharon.Slover@house.texas.gov to receive an application. Applications will be accepted through June 29, 2018. More information about the Texas Armed Services Scholarship Program can be found at www.hhloans.com.
Mike Schofield is the State Representative for Texas House District 132 in Katy and Cy-Fair. Mike was named “Freshman of the Year” in the Texas House for his work in the 84th legislative session.