Katy Texas News
Posted February 2, 2011
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch, in effect from noon Thursday through noon Friday. A mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain is expected across southeast Texas Thursday afternoon through Friday morning. The precipitation is expected to begin Thursday afternoon, continue Thursday night and then taper off around mid-morning Friday.
All Katy ISD campuses will be on a normal operating schedule for Thursday, Feb. 3. Throughout the day Thursday, district emergency management personnel will monitor the developing weather situation for winter precipitation. Should district officials determine that inclement weather or other conditions necessitate the cancellation of school on Friday, the district will notify all major Houston metro-area media, as well as post a notice on the Katy ISD website prior to the end of day on Thursday.
Because of the possibility of school cancellation on Friday, parents are encouraged to make arrangements for child care that may be needed in the event classes are cancelled.
Parents also have two ways to receive school closings via e-mail and text alerts (please note that these are third-party sites not administered by Katy ISD):
- On the left side of the page enter the name of the school for which you would like to receive alerts then click on “Find Your School.”
- Once found, select your school to continue. You will have the option of adding additional schools.
- Enter your e-mail address and cell phone number if you would like to receive alerts via text message.
- Click on “Subscribe Now” to complete the registration process.
- From the main menu click “Join Mailing list.”
- From the drop-down menu, click on Katy ISD.
- Scroll down and enter your name and e-mail address in the appropriate fields. Enter you cell phone number in the appropriate field if you would also like to receive alerts via text message.
- Click “submit” and you should see a thank you message verifying that you have been placed on a mailing list to receive alerts.
Parents and staff can also call the Katy ISD School Closure Hotline at 281-237-0175 for school closure information.
Please continue to monitor the Katy ISD Web site and local media outlets for further information.
Many of our students drive to jobs and other activities after school and for most this may be the first time they have driven in winter precipitation. Should local roadways become slippery due to snow and/or ice, it is recommended that drivers take the following precautions.
- Allow enough time for travel between destinations
- Slow down when driving
- Keep your seatbelt buckled
- Remember to avoid sudden stops and quick direction changes
- Be more observant. Visibility is often limited by winter weather
If you should encounter ice and begin to slide, stay off your brakes. Remove your foot from the accelerator and manage your skid. Slamming on the brakes will cause you to lose what little traction you have. Please mention you found this on www.KatyMagazine.com.