Katy, Texas News (March 29, 2017) – Houston Methodist West Hospital has received full Chest Pain Center Accreditation from the American College of Cardiology (ACC). The accreditation acknowledges Houston Methodist West’s expertise in dealing with patients who arrive with symptoms of a heart attack.
“Houston Methodist West has been leading the way in cardiovascular care since we were first established,” said Vicki Brownewell, RN, Houston Methodist West’s chief nursing officer. “I’m proud of our team for continuing to deliver the best possible care for all of our heart patients.”
The hospital was first accredited in October, 2013, with its latest accreditation valid until October 31, 2019.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. Every year more than 600,000 Americans die from heart disease, with a heart attack occurring an average of once every 42 seconds.
An Accredited Chest Pain Center’s evidence-based, systematic approach to cardiac patient care allows clinicians to reduce time to treatment during the critical early stages of a heart attack. Chest Pain Centers better monitor patients when it’s unclear whether or not a patient is having a coronary event. Such monitoring ensures patients are neither sent home too early nor needlessly admitted.
The ACC’s Chest Pain Center Accreditation process ensures that hospitals meet or exceed a wide set of stringent criteria and undergo a comprehensive onsite review by a team of accreditation review specialists. By achieving ACC’s Chest Pain Center Accreditation status, Houston Methodist West demonstrated expertise in the following areas:
- Integrating the emergency department with the local emergency medical system
- Assessing, diagnosing and treating patients quickly
- Effectively treating patients with low risk for acute coronary syndrome and no assignable cause for their symptoms
- Continually seeking to improve processes and procedures
- Ensuring the competence and training of Accredited Chest Pain Center personnel
- Maintaining organizational structure and commitment
- Having a functional design that promotes optimal patient care
- Supporting community outreach programs that educate the public to promptly seek medical care if they display symptoms of a possible heart attack
For more information on cardiovascular care or to find a doctor at Houston Methodist West Hospital, call 832.522.5522 or visit houstonmethodist.org/find-a-doctor/.
Courtesy of Houston Methodist West Hospital