Katyites are lucky to find free times in Houston Museum District
You don’t have to spend money to entertain your family and introduce them to something new. You just have to know where to look. The Houston Museum District is home to some of the best museums in our nation. We as Katyites are lucky to be close enough to enjoy such opportunities but not too close that we feel like we are in the big city of Houston itself.
Just because your kids are not in school doesn’t mean that they can’t learn something this summer. If you play this right they won’t even think that they are learning because they will be having so much fun!
Of course, we know about the major museums in the district such as the Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Museum of Fine Arts, and the Children’s Museum. But did you know that there are 18 museums in theÂ Houston Museum District? Many of which are always free! Some have special free times during the week. See info below.
- Byzantine Fresco Chapel Museum
- Contemporary Arts Museum Houston
- Holocaust Museum Houston
- Houston Center for Contemporary Craft
- Houston Center for Photography
- The Jung Center of Houston
- Lawndale Art Center
- The Menil Collection
- Rice University Art Gallery
- The Rothko Chapel
Special Free Times: General Admission Only
- Buffalo Soldiers National Museum – FREE Monday 10 am – 5 pm
- Children’s Museum of Houston – FREE Thursday 5 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 8 pm
- The Health Museum – FREE Thursday 2 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 5 pm
- The John C. Freeman Weather Museum – FREE Thursday 12 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 4 pm
- Houston Museum of Natural Science – FREE Tuesday after 2 pm
- Houston Zoo – FREE Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, Columbus Day, New Years Day & the Friday after Thanksgiving
- Museum of Fine Arts, Houston – FREE Thursday 10 am Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 9 pm
So if you do your homework, you can introduce your family to something new while saving money this summer. To learn more about these museums visit http://www.houstonmuseumdistrict.org/. If you have a favorite museum in the Houston Museum District please share your comments.