A Talented Workforce in an Ideal Location
Besides being a great place to live, the Katy Area is also a wonderful place to work. The community offers employers a growing, energized, and world class talent and workforce base with high educational attainment.Â A majority of existing employers rate the Katy Area workforce as available, high quality, productive, and available at a reasonable cost.
Katy Workforce Stats
- 1,564,567 civilians employed*
- Average Unemployment Rate, 3.86%*
- Manufacturing Employment: 167,213*
- Engineering, Research, and Accounting workers: 105,928*
- High Workforce Participation Rate in Katy ISD: 70.17%
Source: Nielsen Claritas, a division of The Nielsen Company (US), LLC 2008Â This information may not be redistributed.
The Katy Area, a rapid population growth center located west of Houston, enjoys the benefits of being part of the Houston Metro area. Katy offers a quality suburban atmosphere, “small town” lifestyle, and an energetic talentbase for quality companies. Other benefits include the following:
- Part of the Houston Metro Area, the 4th largest city in the United States, featuring a suburban and small town atmosphere and lifestyle
- Well educated, talented workforce with high educational attainment
- Large white collar, world class, workforce
- Contains a major part of the acclaimed Energy Corridor
- Award winning, acclaimed, K-12 public education system
- 181 square miles in 3 counties: Fort Bend, Harris, and Waller
- Diversified economy strong in corporate headquarters, energy services, engineering, medical,Â distribution, and retail sectors
- Moderate climate, award winning master planned communities, housing costs well below the national average, low cost of living, and excellent quality of life
- Quality, available, industrial, and office buildings, and sites
- Available tax and non-tax incentives, training grants, and low-interest financing
Source: Katy Area Economic Development Council
Katy is thriving and offers many employment opportunities. The Katy Area Chamber of Commerce and Katy Area Economic Development Council list the following businesses as top academic, retail, medical and energy industries and employers in Katy and the surrounding areas.
Katy Independent School District
CHRISTUS St. Catherine Hospital
Wood Group/Mustang Engineering
Academy Distribution Center
Global Santa Fe
Memorial Hermann Katy Hospital
WalMart Super Center, Fry Rd.
WalMart Super Center, Market Place Dr.
Diamond Offshore Drilling
Houston Community College
Copyright Katy Magazine 2009. Adapted from Katy Life, Katy Magazine’s Newcomer & Relocation Guide