Katy, TX (May 11, 2016) A significant traffic change is coming to the I-610 West Loop/US 290 interchange. The contractor is progressing with construction activities and crews are ready to begin work on the US 290 westbound mainlanes from I-610 to W. 34th. This requires the US 290 exit off northbound I-610 West Loop be relocated from the left side of the freeway to the right side. The exit will be temporarily placed on a portion of the ramp that will eventually connect I-10 to US 290. The switch is planned the weekend of May 13 and involves placing barrier, pavement markers and signs.
Beginning at 9 p.m., Friday, May 13, through Noon, Sunday, May 15, three alternating mainlanes will be closed on I-610 West Loop northbound from IH 10 to W. 18th Street. The traffic switch will be completed in two phases, starting with work on the outside lanes.
- The exit ramp to US 290 will remain open, along with one lane continuing to I-610 North Loop eastbound.
- I-10 Katy Freeway westbound connector to I-610 West Loop northbound will be closed. Motorists will be detoured to I-610 southbound, exit at Woodway/Memorial and U-turn to I-610 northbound.
- There will be intermittent closures on the I-610 North Loop westbound connector to US 290. Motorists will be detoured to the US 290 frontage road at the Dacoma exit and can re-enter the freeway past W. 34th.
Once the first phase is complete, crews will reopen the outside lanes and close the inside three lanes.
- The US 290 exit ramp will open in its new configuration on the right side of the freeway.
- I-610 West Loop northbound connector to I-610 North Loop eastbound will be closed. Motorists will be detoured to the W. 18th exit, continue on the frontage road and re-enter the freeway past T.C. Jester.
After completion of the traffic switch, motorists will have six lanes from I-10 to US 290 — two outside lanes exiting to US 290, three inside lanes continuing to I-610 North Loop eastbound, and a center lane exiting to W. 18th just past the US 290 exit.
We strongly encourage motorists to pay attention to these lane changes, stay alert, and watch for posted signs.
For more information, contact Karen Othon at (713) 354-1532. Follow us on Twitter @my290houston.