Fun Ways to Burn Calories This Spring
With spring hinting at us around the corner here in Katy, the neighborhoods are beginning to look alive again.Â People are out in their yards, cleaning up the garden beds, and washing the cars.Â All of these activities are necessary to keep our hearts pumping, blood moving, and calories burning.
Did you know that gardening and yard work count as exercise?Â So does washing the car, cleaning the house, and rough-housing with your kids. Â Yes, according to the experts at Diet.com and Harvard Medical School, here are the calories you can burn by doing these everyday activities:
- Digging and weeding in the garden â€“ 150 to 205 calories in 30 minutes
- Mowing the lawn with push mower â€“ 244 calories in 30 minutes
- Sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming house â€“ 100 calories in 20 minutes
- Playing with the kids â€“ 178 to 222 calories in 30 minutes
- Washing and vacuuming the car â€“ 300 calories in one hour
- Cooking and preparing family dinner â€“ 192 calories
- Sleeping â€“ 50 calories
These are all healthful things to do â€“ and not just for your physical needs.Â Doing any of these activities as a family will strengthen your relationships, promote bonding, and teach youngsters responsibility!Â All around, they are great everyday things to pursue, not just for the honey-do list either, but for overall health.
What about your family?Â Does the warm weather invite you outside to stretch your ligaments, move your bodies, and spend time in the sun together?Â Tell us what you like to do in Katy to burn the calories off.